Friday, July 4, 2008

Dear John

I've been a part of many endings. I've experienced superheroes die like superman, captain america and the hulk ( I know he's not really dead but if your publisher decides to revamp your series by sending you to an alternate universe on an alien planet to fight angry monkeys and other hulks you might as well be dead. The appeal of the hulk as far as I can tell is how we all get mad and it makes us nuts. He just happened to run into some nuclear trouble and turns green. It was a constant struggle between staying human and an angry monster. So to have him stay as said monster and fight other monsters takes the human part out of it nullifying the basis of his story. I've never read the comic or even watched the movies so what do I know? This is what happens when you're not informed but choose to discuss anyway). My middle school moved from an old historic building to another historic building (abandoned church). I've seen the end to broken curses like the Red Sox ( Glad you guys keep winning but enough is enough. Please don't turn into the Yankees).

The branch where I work will be closing in October. The bank lost the lease and didn't want to pay double the rent. We sent notices to the customers this week. How do you console someone when a place they've been going to for 35 years is closing up?

I can't remember that last time I've heard so many sweet little old ladies say, " I'm pissed". Even though their branch is closing and most will have to close their accounts and go elsewhere most ask about us first. They want to make sure we're going to have jobs and a plan after. It's like saying good-bye to dozens of grandmas and grandpas at once. Some ask if they can call to talk even if their accounts are closed.

The plan is to have all the employees of my branch transferred over to the one in sf. No more free yogurt. No more homemade baked goods. No more grandkid stories.

Cold concrete jungle here I come.

No comments: