Wednesday, April 28, 2010

You Had Me At….Nope

A lady at church tells me she knows someone I can date but I would have to fight it out with the Woos. Normally, another woman at church will enthusiastically suggest people for me to meet. I guess word is getting out I'm single. Luckily there was an audience to make things less embarrassing. Her husband pointed out how it was really a flirt to convert. We worked it out and the plan is for this professional athlete to be kim’s date at laurie’s wedding because her entire family will be there for him to meet. One daughter getting married means the siblings have marriage potential. The parents are 49ner fans. So I will sacrifice my chance at happiness and put kim’s ahead of my own.

Later as I was learning to play the bass, the regular matchmaker wants me to hurry outside. She tells me a guy drove up to get his convertible washed (The kids were raising money for camp). I continued strumming. I wasn’t rushing out. First of all, I was learning a song. Second, a bass is heavy, can’t just run with it. Well, I could but since it was plugged into the amp and I was sitting on a stool behind a wall of microphone stands I thought rushing would be bad. Third it was a hot day. Fourth, convertibles mess with my hair. Lastly, the image of a single gal rushing out of church to meet a guy isn’t the first impression I’m going for. Some might see it as desperation (I’m not there yet).

I slowly made my way but before I got outside I learned he had a girlfriend. The matchmaker says it’s not serious because he said it wasn’t. The guy donated $5. He actually only had $3 and asked his non-serious girlfriend for $2. I only saw his car. It was one of those tiny yellow two seater convertibles. I might’ve been interested if it came with one of those little toy dogs complete with Burberry travel case. I mean what girl doesn’t want a guy who will hold her purse and her dog as they look for cheap child labor in his tiny yellow convertible?

In some twisted way I appreciate that people consider me good enough to date strangers whether they be professional athletes or guys who drive-by in tiny bright colored cars.

No comments: