Friday, August 1, 2008

Dumb Dumbs

Sister: Why are there stupid people in the world?

My sister was on a forum about ethnicity and race. A guy was rattling on about how stereotypes are facts about a group. He went on to list some he felt were true like how "All asian women are bad drivers. I know because I see them all the time". Pardon me but I believe the stereotype is all asians are bad drivers. Way to turn a racist comment into a sexist one too. My sister decided to have a go and told him being ok with a stereotype doesn't make it ok. They were hurtful and tended to divide people. His answer to her was how they could be good things too. He wasn't making them up and he had done some research. His example was "Black people like fried chicken and kool-aid. My black friends agree. So you see stereotypes are based on fact". So stupid.

I can't help but wonder if he would make statements like that face to face with others. Online one is safely tucked away behind a screen making it difficult for another to reach out and smack you in the head when you're being stupid. This is why the internet is a double-edged sword. On the one hand it connects us all. On the other hand it connects us all.

I told her to forget it. Let him be happy in his little bubble before life rips him out of it, blows his head off and then eats him alive.

sister: You've been reading "Resident Evil" again haven't you?

me: Yes ma'am.

bonus point: Who made up the above term?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

here, here. and that's why sometimes bloggers can be just a real pain..