Friday, December 27, 2013

One of Three, Part I: Rehearsal

6/25/13

My sister’s wedding has come and gone. I hadn’t given it much thought until I was with her for her final dress fitting. Maybe it was the sunscreen or the AC blasting but my eyes started to water and my sister saw and she got teary-eyed. There we were, two idiots, getting teary-eyed, over a stupid frilly white dress.

The days leading up to the big day were a blur. I went to Target five days in a row for various last minute things. We made multiple trips to the airport to pick up out of town guests.

The rehearsal almost didn’t happen because there was a traffic accident which delayed everyone except the bride and bridesmaids. My sister berated us for days about punctuality for the wedding. Ironic, since she is usually late to everything.

When we got to the site, my sister wanted us to try walking down to the ceremony area in our dress shoes. I practiced for months over carpet, tile, hard wood floor, and concrete. No one said anything about dirt. I managed the first few steps but the pastor felt we could tumble down at any moment. So the groomsmen would walk down with us.

I got matched up with the taller of the groomsmen. He was the more talkative of the two. The other barely said a word.

Rehearsal dinner was fun. One side of the wedding party stayed sober while the other was plastered. I’ll let you guess which side (hint: not mine).

When we got to the hotel we had to unpack everything. I brought like 4 pairs of shoes: driving shoes, sandals, rehearsal dinner shoes, and wedding shoes. I thought about bringing slippers too but that seemed a bit excessive for a two day thing.

No comments: