Saturday, May 30, 2009

This Town Ain't Big Enough

As we get older we get wiser. But there are some things I wish I weren’t getting wiser about. Can love and intelligence exist in perfect harmony? Can the brain and the heart work together and not tear a person to pieces?

I've spent the majority of my adult life single. I've been in one relationship and have more crushes than I could name (real people or not). I don't mind listening to another person's concerns but I don't feel qualified to give dating advice. If anything dating has left me thinking hopeless romantics should be taken out and shot.

I don't understand the “on a break” thing. Sounds more like “let me put you off to the side while I wander around. When I find no one better than you we’ll get back together. But if I find someone better, good-bye”. I think it’s good to tell your partner when things feel stagnant but the idea of a break, I just don’t like it. I don't know if there's anything comforting I can say to someone who's been forced into a break. My first thought is always, "This is the beginning of the end. Get out now".

Also, I don't know what it is about love that makes people lose their senses. I know that down the line when I'm dating again I'll be just as foolish. Even though it feels like a long time ago there are still things about being in love that I can remember. Apparently, cupid doesn't aim for the heart; he aims for the brain.

So in an earlier post titled "Has Become a Fan Of" I mention how I currently have a celebrity crush. I was on Zachary Quinto's official website and it dawned on me that this is stupid. For weeks I debated whether or not to become one of his fans on facebook. In that time his fan base has gone up 50%. Yes the man is incredibly photogenic, is great on screen and sounds smart but so what? Even if I were to become a fan, follow him on twitter, read his blog and learn all there is out there online about him I will never know him. He will never know me. He doesn't even know I exist. I will not be fan number 21 thousand whatever. What would be the point? I'm letting go of this and returning to my daily life minus ZQ (dang him for being so pretty).

"You like the bad guy? The one who goes around cutting the tops of people's heads off? Yeah, he's kinda cute" - sis.

No comments: