Friday, January 7, 2011

Crescent Rolls and other Scary Things

as i was sitting in the den typing away with my frozen fingers i got to thinking i would very much like a hot flaky buttery roll. but in order to do this i would have to purchase rolls, open the package and prepare them in the oven. not too scary right? wrong.

over christmas, i learned i am afraid of opening the canister crescent rolls come in. i don't like the idea of the tube popping open as i remove the wrapper. how do i know it's not actually going to explode blowing my fingers off? that would be a weird disclaimer on a food product, "caution: may blow fingers off".

imagine my annoyance when after all the paper is peeled off the canister does absolutely nothing. so i yell at it. gingerly tap it with a spoon. try to peel the cardboard off. nothing. perplexed, i decide to climb a stepladder and drop the thing onto the counter. i do and to my horror it explodes sending bits and pieces of unbaked dough all over the counter blinding me in the process and causing me to fall off the stepladder shattering my hip.

just kidding. the thing just popped revealing the spongy golden colored contents inside. the rolls were baked leading to much rejoicing on christmas eve night.

as i get older i learn there are lots of things to be scared of but it's pointless to let them become road blocks. it's better to face those things head on (and maybe eyes partially covered). you may find they weren't that scary to begin with.

i need to remember this the next time i have to use matches or am faced with an audit at work.

sister: quack quack QUACK
me: why are you doing that?
sister: i'm quacking like a duck. QUACK!
me: i know but why?
sister: just felt like it.
me: ok then.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you afraid of matches?
syche

jenblue said...

@syche- yes, the use of matches scares me but it's justified since i played with matches and burned myself once.